Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sometimes Simple Jobs are the Hardest


One of the last things I needed to do to make the new vehicle "tow-ready" was to lower the hitch so that the Bambi towed level. What I thought would be a very simple task - removing 2 bolts - turned out to be very difficult and time consuming.



The bolts would not budge no matter how much elbow grease I put into it. I purchased a large wrench and spent more time than I care to admit trying to get the bolts loose. When this didn't work I stepped it up a notch and drenched the bolts with a penetrating catalyst spray (PB Blaster), all to no avail though. Even with the help of a friend, the two of us could not get either bolt to loosen, even the slightest.

Clearly this was a job for the professionals. Defeated, I took the hitch into Camping World, and with the aid of some power tools, they had the bolts off and hitch adjusted properly in a matter of a couple minutes, all at no charge. I wish I had done this in the beginning; it would have saved me time and money. Anyway, huge kudos to the Longmont, CO, Camping World technician that helped me out!

Now I'm all set and ready to hit the road again with camper in tow. Too bad we already have early season snow on the ground and colder than normal temperatures. I may be waiting until next year before I get the opportunity to tow/camp again.